Fallingwater was a weekend house for the Edgar J. Kaufmann family of Pittsburgh, owners of Kaufmann’s Department Store. The house was owned and used by the Kaufmann family until 1963, when it was entrusted by Edgar Kaufmann, jr., to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy.
Designed in 1935 by American architect Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959), the main house was constructed 1936-38, followed by the guest house construction in 1939. The main house uses 5,330 square feet (2885 sq. ft. interior; 2445 sq. ft. terraces), while the guest house uses 1,700 square feet.
Fallingwater is Wright’s crowning achievement in organic architecture and the American Institute of Architects’ “best all-time work of American architecture.”